The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

Has Christmas changed that much?

Random Blathering of a 9th grader

On the left is a picture of me in 2001 surrounded with presents, on the left is Seph Long, twelfth grade, in 2014 sporting his new car keys.

It’s Christmas morning and you are lying restless in bed waiting for it to be a good time to wake your parents up. Finally, you roll out of bed and discover that the milk and cookies you set out for Santa are gone! You rush to wake your parents up and discover presents under the Christmas tree!

It’s that time of year again, Christmas! That means bringing family together and enjoying each other. It means decorating the tree and keeping traditions alive. Chloe Bellamy said, “I still open my first present on Christmas Eve. I’ve done that since I was a little girl.” But others become very busy during this season, Breanna Rivera, tenth grade, said, “I don’t set out milk and cookies anymore, I don’t really have the time.” Even new traditions are being made like the Elf on the Shelf and carrots and celery for the reindeer. Taylor Davis, ninth grade,  said, “I get up even earlier Christmas morning now that I’m older.”
Christmas is a time for love and togetherness. I know, for me, I have always been so excited to wake my parents up Christmas morning.

When I was younger, I remember asking for dolls and Polly Pockets. Hope King says she remembers asking for a puppy multiple times when she was little. Tyler Rohrig,  said he remembers asking for anything and everything that was involved with power rangers, “It used to drive my parents crazy that that was all I wanted, but it was easy to shop for.”

My favorite present was a snow white cape I got when I was four; I used to wear it everywhere. Things like toy cars, Polly Pockets, Bop-its, or in Nicole Whitten’s case, “Anything Disney or Hannah Montana”, made us happy. Now-a-days, kids are asking for IPad, IPods, and sometimes even Phones at ages where they should be asking for jump ropes and super hero capes!
It’s shocking how much Christmas had changed. Let me know in the comments below what some of your favorite Christmas memories are and what your favorite presents were as a child.

Tune in next month for Random Blathering of a Ninth Grader!

1 Comment

One Response to “Has Christmas changed that much?”

1. Celeste Smith-Diaz on November 20th, 2014 1:16 pm

I was the weird 5 year old that asked for a GameCube for Christmas. Even then I guess I was a gamer! 😀

[Reply]

Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf's Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Has Christmas changed that much?

Showcase

Growing Number of Bomb Threats

• Has Christmas changed that much?

Showcase

HOCO Queen 2016: Taylor Tant

• Has Christmas changed that much?

School News

Chic-Fil-A Leader Academy: student leaders give back

• Has Christmas changed that much?

School News

VPN Must Come To An End

• Has Christmas changed that much?

Showcase

GHS football winning streak

• Has Christmas changed that much?

Showcase

Lisa Guilbeau: Teacher of the year!

• Has Christmas changed that much?

Showcase

Student section savvy

• Has Christmas changed that much?

School News

Freshmen elected into SGA

• Has Christmas changed that much?

Between The Bells

Jampacked schedule: overbearing or motivator?

• Has Christmas changed that much?

School News

Greenbrier unites at special olympics

Has Christmas changed that much?