The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

How sleep affects students

June E., staff writer

The moon is out and a full day of learning and playing is over. The bed is warm and cozy for the body to rest, but sleep is when the brain is most active to process information from the day to form memories. The brain needs anywhere from eight to nine hours to do this and recharge to get the student through the next day. This does not always happen when students have to be in class at 7:30 a.m. and go to sleep anywhere from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Sleep deprivation can cause loss of memory, loss of focus, and moodiness, which is why students who sleep late cannot concentrate in class nor remember what they learned the day before.

Senior Tiffani Hobbs knows how it feels to go to school dead tired; she said, “I feel like calling in sick and just going home.”

Junior Jessica Wilkinson said, “I feel like I’m gonna fall asleep.”

Everyone has plenty of reasons for staying up late, whether it is being glued to a video game, last minute cramming for an important test, or watching seasons of your favorite shows on Netflix. For more information on how binge watching Netflix affects students, read “The affects of binge watching Netflix” by Brittney Pennington. There are many different reasons, but the aftereffect is all the same: wishing for ten more minutes of peaceful slumber.

When asked if she would prefer school starting earlier, freshman Lexi Rugg replied, “Yes, because I can sleep longer and be more awake in school.”

School starting later in the day would be a nice change for students, but that option probably will not come anytime soon so the best option would be to go to bed sooner to get a full eight hours and be energized the next day. Helpful ways to get better rest are to set a regular time to sleep and wake up, take about a thirty-minute nap if needed during the afternoon, and stay away from late night snacks.

Comment below with ways you get better sleep!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “How sleep affects students”

1. Taylor Tant on February 3rd, 2015 2:39 pm

I can never get enough sleep because of school and homework, I wish school would start later because it’s so unhealthy going to bed at 1 and waking up at 6, it affects our health and our grades

[Reply]

2. The Wolf's Den : Binge-watching Netflix and the effect it has on your health on February 19th, 2015 9:17 am

[…] For more information on the importance of a good night’s sleep, check out “How sleep affects students” by June Ekechukwu. In a recent study on the effects of binge-watching, Maggie Fox, an NBC […]

Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf's Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• How sleep affects students

Showcase

Growing Number of Bomb Threats

• How sleep affects students

Showcase

HOCO Queen 2016: Taylor Tant

• How sleep affects students

School News

Chic-Fil-A Leader Academy: student leaders give back

• How sleep affects students

School News

VPN Must Come To An End

• How sleep affects students

Showcase

GHS football winning streak

• How sleep affects students

Showcase

Lisa Guilbeau: Teacher of the year!

• How sleep affects students

Showcase

Student section savvy

• How sleep affects students

School News

Freshmen elected into SGA

• How sleep affects students

Between The Bells

Jampacked schedule: overbearing or motivator?

• How sleep affects students

School News

Greenbrier unites at special olympics

How sleep affects students