The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

In it to spin it

The+flag+team+is+going+to+bury+the+competition.+
The flag team is going to bury the competition.

Lauren Chesani

Lauren Chesani

Delana Touchet and Elizabeth Murdock

When they aren't on the field flag supports the football players from the stands.

Delana Touchet
When they aren’t on the field flag supports the football players from the stands.

As the flags drop down, the crowd stands up. The members of Greenbrier’s color guard have an immense amount of dedication, fueled by their passion. Color guard, or flag team, is a part of marching band. Flag team, dancers, and band all work together to make a dazzling show.

“It’s awesome. It’s like being in a big family of girls. You have your ups and downs, but it’s always fun. I love it,” said, sophomore, Taylor Davis.

“I really enjoy it. It’s something where at first I didn’t want to do it, but now it’s really amazing. We always have such a good time. I think we have a special connection like all of us girls know how to work together,” said, freshman, Rachel Miller.

“I was scared that my freshman year I wouldn’t have any friends, upperclassman friends, and that I would just stay in my small group, but because of flag I’ve become friends with people on the team. I’ve also become friends with their friends. I feel a lot more secure when I walk through the hall,” Kendall Dibling, freshman, said.

The girls, of different grades and ages, have managed to find common thread between them and what brings them all together. All of them work hard and practice every Monday and Wednesday from 3-5 in the evening. Their hard work pays off when they perform at competitions and at halftime at football games. Color guard, not without its share of ups and downs, keeps the girls alert and on their toes.

Elizabeth Turner, sophomore, said, “The hardest part is being together as a team. It’s easier to be in small groups, but once you get all of us, especially spread out on the field, it’s really hard to get us together on time.”

“My favorite part about it is being so nervous before each competition or game. The hardest part is not getting hit by the flag,” said freshman, Aidan Cox.

“My favorite part about it is the challenges, the music is fun, and putting it together. The hardest part is getting everyone’s tosses the same height and going at the same speed. We work hard. We connect to each other, and make sure we help each other out,” says Reese Young, a senior.

Color guard dances in the stands at a football game.

Delana Touchet

Despite the amount of effort they put into their work, the color guard does not get much recognition. Among the members of marching band and the dancers, flag team remains hidden in the background.

“It has been a very progressive year, but no, we do not get enough recognition. I think it’s because we’re always compared to dance. One time a band member called us dancers,” shares Taylor Davis.

“People think it’s easy, that you can just twirl around a flag, but it’s a lot more complicated. It can be painful if you twirl it wrong. They [band] make the show come alive with their music and marching, and we add a picture to it with our flags. The band parents and some of the students support us, but a lot of them [students] ignore us,” Madison Townsend, senior says.

Color guard has had a few problems in the past, but they come together as a family and unite. Marching band provides the music and color guard provides the show. So just keep calm and spin on.