The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

TBonz-giving!

Grace Jastrom, Staff writer

FullSizeRender

Volunteers take a quick break to snap this picture.

When most people think about Thanksgiving, most things that come to mind include “Charlie Brown,” turkey or football, but some, in the Augusta area, have a different view of the fall holiday.

“It all started when my brother and I saw a similar act of giving back at a restaurant in Savannah, Georgia. The very next year we implemented a similar event into our Thanksgiving Day,” said Mr. Henry Scheer, the Co-Partner of TBonz Steakhouse.

Every single year, for the past 24 years, TBonz Steakhouse of Augusta has fed a traditional Thanksgiving dinner to needy kids in and around the CSRA.

Even though TBonz gives away tons of food on this day, the restaurant will not allow any of the needy kids to leave empty handed.

“We always have something else to give to the kids when they come in for the dinner. For the first couple of years, we gave away pajamas and clothes. One year, we had gotten many donations from a certain store, and we gave bags of glamorous stuff to the kids. But, in the past couple of years, we have given out books. To me, when a kid finds a book they love, their face is priceless.”

Throughout the many years TBonz has done this dinner, the effects of this act of kindness has grown. It soon changed from just needy kids form Augusta to kids from all over Georgia and South Carolina. But, the dinner has a bigger effect on the people that make it happen.

“We always are stunned at how many volunteers we have, and I am grateful we have them all. Many of our volunteers have been here for many years, and continue to do it year after year. Some of them even have a reserved spot they work. To me and the volunteers, Thanksgiving dinner, which feeds many needy kids, has become a tradition we do every single year, and I hope that we never stop!”