The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

Getting one of those job things…

Bre Harris, Staff

Okay, first thing’s first, I’m so excited right now because if you are reading this it means you possibly read my first blog entry and are coming back for more! Excuse me while I shriek of joy internally. You are an awesome person and I hope you keep coming back to read other entries I post. So yes, thank you once again reader for checking out my blog, continue reading below for an awesome entry about job hunting (:

Alrighty, so after talking to many of the students around school, I found out that one of the largest difficulties they have with money is that they don’t have enough of it and trying to find a job can be really hard. I can honestly say that I relate to many of them in that situation. Before my senior year started, I thought that possibly finding a job would give me something else to do and earn a little money on the side, so with that thought, me and my friend (who was also searching for a job at the time) drove around town picking up applications wherever we could. We were actually pretty successful in the fact that employees allowed us to fill out applications, it was just waiting for the call backs that ended being stressful. In the end, my friend eventually found herself a job grooming dogs and I took on an extra-curricular activity instead, FBLA.

Even though I ended up not getting the job, I did learn some valuable lessons from that time in my life. The first thing I learned is that searching for a job online can be the most tedious task. Picking a website, searching through all the jobs posted, and picking one that seems relevant to what you want to do can be overwhelming, that’s why I did it for you! Don’t worry, you can thank me later. Here is a list of a few jobs in the area as posted on employment-related search engine, Indeed.com:

• Cashier @ PetSmart
  • Retail Sales Associate @ Carolina Pottery
  • Seasonal Associate @ Charming Charlie
  • Sales Associate at Scrubs of Evans
  • Host @ Kyoto
  • Sales Associate @ Staples
  • Style Advisor (Seasonal) @ Justice
  • Host @ Carolina Ale House
  • Seasonal Merchandise Team Member @ Target (Evans & Augusta locations)
  • Starbucks Barista/Café Server @ Barnes & Noble in the Augusta Mall

The second thing I learned was that patience is a virtue.  It may take a long time to get a call back from an employer, because they do have to look at applications other than just yours and interview with other possible candidates, which can take some time. So, don’t freak out if you don’t hear from them for a while. This is why it is also important to apply to multiple locations, I say about five, and wait at least a month.

The last thing I learned was that you may not receive a call back at all, but to not let it discourage you. You can still do something else to fill time. I for example, got more involved with FBLA once the school year started, and now I’m the president which is pretty cool, and because of that I have something cool to add to any future applications. Now I know you probably still want to have money, right? Right. So in the meantime of looking for a job, try cutting out some discretionary expenses from your typical routine. A discretionary expense is anything you buy that you could really live without. An example would be, say, getting breakfast at McDonalds before school. I understand it is food and food is essential, but does it really need to be bought every single day? If the average breakfast biscuit meal at McDonalds is $4.05 (not including tax) and you buy one every day before school, that’s about $20.25 a week, nearly $80 a month! *mind blown* It’s crazy how much you can save just buy cutting out a couple expenses.  If you’re interested in other ways to save money here and there, totally check back in a month for my next entry about savings!

Bre  ✌

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Getting one of those job things…”

1. kali on February 9th, 2016 11:58 am

dude. you’re a genius. *bows*

[Reply]

2. Q'jonathan on February 9th, 2016 12:49 pm

I find this very helpful

[Reply]

3. Jon on February 10th, 2016 2:08 pm

This was awesome

[Reply]

Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf's Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Getting one of those job things…

Showcase

Growing Number of Bomb Threats

• Getting one of those job things…

Showcase

HOCO Queen 2016: Taylor Tant

• Getting one of those job things…

School News

Chic-Fil-A Leader Academy: student leaders give back

• Getting one of those job things…

School News

VPN Must Come To An End

• Getting one of those job things…

Showcase

GHS football winning streak

• Getting one of those job things…

Showcase

Lisa Guilbeau: Teacher of the year!

• Getting one of those job things…

Showcase

Student section savvy

• Getting one of those job things…

School News

Freshmen elected into SGA

• Getting one of those job things…

Between The Bells

Jampacked schedule: overbearing or motivator?

• Getting one of those job things…

School News

Greenbrier unites at special olympics

Getting one of those job things…