The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

Fantasy football: road to glory

Fantasy football is an activity that is rising in popularity among the United States. Now we all know that football is a very popular sport to play in and to watch and everyone has a favorite player that they look forward to seeing on television every weekend. Fantasy football gives you the opportunity to pick your favorite players and allows people to interact amongst others in a competitive and fun way.

In fantasy football, a league can be created with family members and/or friends. A draft is then created and the people who are in the league are put in order based on the league manager or randomization. Strategy comes into play because each player can only be chosen once, so you want to get the players you want the most the quickest. People use many different strategies, some wing it and pick the highest ranked players, some do extensive research to pick the diamond in the rough, and some pick their favorite players.

“I try to pick the best in each position,” says Mrs. Purvis.  “I try to not pick with my heart or where they played college ball.”

Along with interaction and fun, fantasy football gives you another reason to watch the games during the weekend. Dads across the country have been enlightened when their children have wanted to watch his favorite team when he doesn’t know the real reason. You also need to watch the games to find out how well your players are doing. Sophomore Josh Purvis said, “It is very important to watch NFL games because fantasy football is not about stats, it is about how your players react on the grid iron.”

Fantasy football is still unknown by many people, yet it is a very fun way to enjoy football. And as the commercial says, “without fantasy, what would friends talk about?”

Are you a part of your own fantasy league?  Post your experiences about it down below.