The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

Technology: The poison or the potion?

In today’s day and age, technology is a part of our daily life. It has become the “norm” to use technology in ways that are thought to be more efficient, but are the ways they’re being utilized really making it easier or causing confusing?

At Greenbrier High School students and teachers have been encouraged to use technology throughout their school day. In fact, at the beginning of the year, students signed a document stating the rules of the “BYOT’ or “Bring Your Own Technology” agreement. This explained to the students the guidelines for using their technology and the discipline for abuse.

But the questions that need to be answered are : How is technology benefiting our school?  Are the ways teachers are utilizing technology beneficial to their students and enhancing their lessons?  Is technology a distraction? Students responses vary; some students love technology, some hate it, some see it as a distraction, but all of this depends on how it’s being used.

For example, this year’s seniors, who partake in senior project, which is 40% of their grade, have been required to use Office 365. Many of the students feel as though there is no significance to this.

“Why should we have to use it [ Office 365], if we still have to print our documents, and turn it in to turnitin.com?” says Senior Anna-Claire Rascon.

While some technological requirements frustrate students and teachers alike, recently, some teachers have been encouraging more creative use of technology and have encouraged student to use applications to replace more traditional presentation programs, such as  Microsoft PowerPoint. One popular application that has recently been used in several classes is Adobe Spark. This makes students’ ideas more exciting, animated and much more interesting. Students enjoy using this, rather then then the traditional presentation formats.

As the years continue, technology will be an even more significant part of our society. As of now many of our students believe technology is beneficial, despite its frustrations.

” I feel like if it’s used the right way, it can be good, but it all depends how the teachers use it,” says Senior Allison.   “I like a technology because it’s a switch from being in a desk with paper in front of you.”

She is not the only student that feels like this. Students don’t want to be in a desk every day of the month. When teachers use technology that allows students to move around, such as assignments that require QR code scanning or scavenger hunts, it allows students to have hands-on learning and this appeals to students who may not respond as well to traditional teaching.

All in all, the way students and teachers use technology determines if it is beneficial. Due to the fact that technology is a growing part of society, continuing to investigate ways in which students and teachers can use it in positive ways is more important than ever.

If you feel your teacher has used technology in a good way, comment below!