The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

Growing Number of Bomb Threats

Landon Borchardt

“Teachers and students, may I please have your attention? We will now evacuate the building.” This announcement has echoed through the halls of Greenbrier far too often this year as bomb threats have become an all too frequent occurrence. With the first semester quickly coming to a close, students and teachers have already been evacuated from the school three times, with the most recent evacuation resulting in over two hours of sitting outside in the scorching sun. While a few students may be excited to get a break from class, what some students may not realize is that these offences can lead to expulsion and, in some cases, jail time.

Sweat dripped from the bodies of hundreds of pupils and administrators stuck outside for hours on end. Bees swarmed through the humid Georgia air–both the result of yet another bomb threat. “I mean, these have happened for years. We need [to have] more inspections,” Phoebe Fleshman, Freshman, shared. “I think they should get expulsion,”  Phoebe commented in reference to whoever was responsible for making the threat.

For years now GHS has had more than their fair share of bomb threats. Students think that skipping out on classes or delaying the test they forgot to study for is worth the consequences that go along with making a bomb threat, but they don’t see that they could be charged with a federal offence for terroristic threats, which will ultimately result in arrest.

“[Greenbrier should] make signs outs during lunch to see who goes out,” Freshman Kian Blevins suggested. [We need] to show the kids they could go to jail, or explain what could happen.” Bomb threats are no joke. Not only are they illegal, but they also take way from one’s valuable education. “Obviously [offenders] should get ISS, OSS, and jail,” Derek Melendez, Freshman, thought.

As a result of the reoccurring threats, Greenbrier administration has had to implement stricter policies, including preventing students from using the bathrooms in the lunchroom lobby during 5th period.  Instead, students must use the restrooms located in the choral hall while a school employee monitors from the outside.  Not only does this limit student freedom, but it takes away valuable time from an employee who could be using that time to complete his or her own work.  Do you think these new measures will help to discourage future threats? Comment below some with ideas for initiatives you believe may help solve this problem.