The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

Ebola 101

Leigh Abell, staff writer/blogger

Ebola is like a train wreck; it’s uncommon and rarely happens but once it does, it’s hard to handle.

This deadly virus first erupted in 1976 in Central Africa. Shortly after, the illness spread throughout Sudan. Families and friends were devastated. There was nothing they could do about it. There is no cure. This disease is like a wildfire; once it hits, it spreads and is uncontrollable. Though Ebola is deadly and highly uncontrollable, it is not contagious; it’s infectious. The difference is that you can’t get this virus by flying on a plane with someone infected or simply being in the same building. You must come in close physical contact. You can obtain it by contacting body fluids from someone infected. Some symptoms include but are not limited to: weakness, fever, vomiting, and stomach pain.

Two specific cases are being treated right here in Atlanta. A man and a woman from the United States obtained the virus in Africa and were brought back to the States to be treated in isolation.

The disease is hard to recover from because of the many symptoms and side effects involved. Keep in mind that these symptoms could occur in any order and at any time. If you feel any of these symptoms, contact a doctor right away.