The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

Health trends

June

Alternative health trends include any of a range of medical therapies that are not regarded as orthodox by the medical profession. Improvements of health and quality of life by natural means has grown in popularity and even introduced a third form of medicine called “complementary medicine,” which is the combined use of alternative and conventional, also known as mainstream, medicine.

Mind-body therapy deals with power of thoughts and emotions to influence physical health. Practices in this therapy include yoga, meditation, and tai chi. These routines have been proven to help with stress, arthritis, blood pressure, and diabetes but as with any exercise muscle or joint pain can happen if not properly done.

Manipulative and body based therapy uses touch to move to manipulate a part of the body, such as chiropractic medicine, used to treat pain such as whiplash, is so common that many believe it should not be considered alternative. Whole medical therapy is built on complete systems of health theory and practice. Naturopathy medicine uses noninvasive treatment like exercise and acupuncture.

Biologically based therapy is the use of substances found in nature to help treat illness or promote wellness. Dieting is a common technique which includes many types constantly being created to improve health. The bulletproof diet is one that is becoming trendier. It ranks foods from “toxic” to “bulletproof.” One of the main recipes is bulletproof coffee made of medium-chain triglyceride oil, low-mold coffee beans, and at least two tablespoons of grass-fed butter. An individual is supposed to drink this concoction instead of having breakfast because it claims to suppress hunger, promote weight loss, and help mental focus.

Senior Kayla Johnson says ” it sounds like it won’t actually work. It’s coffee so what makes it different?”

Some do not consider this alternative coffee to hold up to its promises, but others swear by them. For people who prefer more simplistic and easy to follow diets, there is the mason jar meal diet. This idea is based on portion control and eating on the go by putting an entire meal in a jar. There are many mason jar meal recipe for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

There are many concoctions and combinations to help improve health. Many medical practices have been proven to work, but some show no effect or may even cause harm, so it is important to find and try ways of being healthy that work best and not just because it is the latest fad.

Freshman Icela Carrillo plays soccer to stay healthy, sophomore Jakobe Leverett plays basketball and eats apples, freshman Adam Harper stays active, and junior Autmn Higgins goes on walks with her dog to stay healthy.

Tell us in the comments what you do to stay healthy!