The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

Pack swim takes on championships

This is the moment Greenbrier swimmers are anxious for. Columbia county swim championships. In the past, both the girls and boys team have demolished the competition, leading them to take the title of County Champions three years in a row. This year though, pack swimmers trained all season long to prepare for their Lakeside and Evans competitions. Senior and captain on the swim team, Jon Schrader, explains ” I think practice directly correlates with meet performance. The hard work that my teammates and I have put in practice, makes us champions.” The meet began with divers and Greenbrier had the only male diver, bumping the boys team 20 points ahead of the competition. Unfortunately, Greenbrier does not have a girl diver, but rival school Lakeside does. With a 20 point obstacle to overcome, the girls swim team catches up in the end  and pulls ahead of Lakeside by two points. Eventually, it all came down to the relay races. Whichever team got first in the relay on the girls’ team between Lakeside and Greenbrier would win. The boys’ team won their relay, securing their victory as Columbia County Champions. But event 24, the last one of the season, would determine the fate for lady pack. All of the swimmers lined the pool to cheer on the four swim girls fighting to be 1st, but by the end of the race, Greenbrier was defeated by a mere two seconds and four points. At the end of the day,the results were in, and it was a close one. The nervous chatter among each team was immediately cut short once the announcer began to speak. Greenbrier boys came in first, and girls in second, ending the four year streak they were striving for. Sophomore Courtney Boudreaux shares, “It was pretty frustrating because almost everyone felt like they could’ve earned those extra points. Hearing our team being called second place made my heart drop. But honestly, everyone did great that night and if anything, that loss helped us grow as a team.” Next season Greenbrier will come back strong to hopefully carry on a five year streak for the boys and start fresh to build a new streak for the girls.