The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

Fine arts at Greenbrier

In schools across the nation, budget set backs have led to a decrease in the number of fine arts classes offered to students as the requirements of high stakes testing forces districts to allocate funds towards core subjects. Fortunately, that is not the case here at Greenbrier High School.  While the district is definitely aware of the many benefits fine arts classes offer students, there are many students who don’t know how these courses can benefit them.

Art can improve academic performances. Band student Liz Haiyne told me that “It improves my academic performances by giving me time to experience and participate in new things i might have not considered doing outside of band, it also introduces a new way a learning.”

In visual arts, students benefit from The arts by expressing their creativity and developing inventiveness. Encouraging thinking and making their art better. ‘’It let’s me think out of the box and use my creativity.” Brandi Smith said. Creative students tend to look for different solutions to problems as they get older.

Musical theater as a  fine art can help shy students come out of their shells, and even improve on communication skills. and depending on what you do in theater, like being a tech a person, you can develop even more skills. Taylor Danis helps with “[building] sets in musical theater.” To build sets that would  be aesthetically pleasing to the audience, Taylor must be visually engaged, so she is developing visual spatial skills too.

rehhg

Fine arts can help students improve upon their core subjects as well. So it’s a win, win! Feel free to comment below with how the arts help you!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Fine arts at Greenbrier”

1. Lauren on October 4th, 2016 12:01 pm

This is a good story about informing people about the fine arts program at Greenbrier!

[Reply]

2. sarah williams on October 5th, 2016 9:05 am

Love this story. Thank you for letting people and student know about the program

[Reply]

Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf's Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Fine arts at Greenbrier

Showcase

Growing Number of Bomb Threats

• Fine arts at Greenbrier

Showcase

HOCO Queen 2016: Taylor Tant

• Fine arts at Greenbrier

School News

Chic-Fil-A Leader Academy: student leaders give back

• Fine arts at Greenbrier

School News

VPN Must Come To An End

• Fine arts at Greenbrier

Showcase

GHS football winning streak

• Fine arts at Greenbrier

Showcase

Lisa Guilbeau: Teacher of the year!

• Fine arts at Greenbrier

Showcase

Student section savvy

• Fine arts at Greenbrier

School News

Freshmen elected into SGA

• Fine arts at Greenbrier

Between The Bells

Jampacked schedule: overbearing or motivator?

• Fine arts at Greenbrier

School News

Greenbrier unites at special olympics

Fine arts at Greenbrier