The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

Halloween History

Halloween has a extremely rich history and background as to how it started, but not a lot of people know about how it started.

When asking around the school, most students couldn’t tell me how this popular holiday originated. However Freshman Bryce beech told me that he knows it “started as a pagan tradition.” To be more specific it started over 2,000 years ago. It was celebrated in Ireland, England, and France.

Fall was associated with death. It was believed that the boundaries between the dead and the living became blurry. So some civilizations participated in a festival, in which they burn animal and crops as sacrifices to the dead. similar to Day of the Dead, but this is done out of fear. This is almost like what Freshman Kian Blevins said, believing “it started to scare demons” in regards to Halloween origin.

Halloween went by a few different names before it became “Halloween”. Churches started to push a holiday onto their followers called all saint day, before that the pagan Holiday was called Samhain. It was also called all-hallows or All-hallow-mas, soon shortened to Halloween.

Also around the time Halloween was being called All Saint Day, costumes became a part of the holiday. The Catholic churches insist that the participants dress as angels and devils. This was another attempt to honor the dead.

image

Fun fact! Did you know that during the times Samhain was being celebrated, the superstition of black cats being bad luck started. Why? Witches were a big deal at the time.

“Black cats are bad luck because they are witches in disguise,” Senior Tiera Anderson explained.

And that is how Halloween began originally. Did you learn something new?  Comment below.