The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

VPN Must Come To An End

Saxon Curry

VPN has taken Greenbrier by storm. However, the once widely used app is now virtually extinct at the school. VPN is used to get around many of the blocks placed on sites by the WiFi. Apps such as Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram are all blocked by our WiFi network. VPN is mainly used by students to simply access necessary sites such as google which is also hard to use on school WiFi.

It is argued by some that Greenbrier and the county as a whole should loosen up on internet restrictions and students would not have to use apps such as VPN.

“I can’t use the internet to do my work and my phone is useless,” states Junior Mackenzie Taylor.

Administrators have a different view on the use of VPN. Some students think that there is no way to be caught using VPN. Mrs. Hale was able to shed some light on how easy it is to detect when someone is using the app.

“Our network can pinpoint exactly what room the VPN’s are being used at any time,” states Mrs. Hale.  “Case in point. About two weeks ago, our WiFi was having issues causing our laptops not to connect. This was caused by one student in a certain room. I was able to pull that student out [of his classroom] and show him the office.”

Another issue students seem to be having trouble understanding is that using VPN comes with real punishment if they are caught. Greenbrier High School Principle Mr. Segraves explained what the punishment was for being caught with VPN.

“We warn the student first,” states Mr. Segraves.   “If there is a second incident, we will suspend [the student] for willful refusal to follow instructions, since this behavior disrupts the teaching and educational process of the classroom teacher.”

Students need to be careful, as being suspended is a great deal worse than not being able to access Snapchat at school.

On the other hand, the county should still consider loosening up on restrictions.

How do you feel about the consequences for using VPN? Do you think the WiFi restrictions should be loosened and what do you mostly use the WiFi for? Feel free to comment below!

1 Comment

One Response to “VPN Must Come To An End”

1. danny kale on November 15th, 2016 10:47 am

Very well written. I think the WiFi shouldn’t have an blocks at all. I like the way you composed this story and you got good quotes. One think i would suggest is that you don’t put any biased comments if not a quote, like the last comment about the county loosening up on restrictions. 😉

[Reply]

Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf's Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• VPN Must Come To An End

Showcase

Growing Number of Bomb Threats

• VPN Must Come To An End

Showcase

HOCO Queen 2016: Taylor Tant

• VPN Must Come To An End

School News

Chic-Fil-A Leader Academy: student leaders give back

• VPN Must Come To An End

Showcase

GHS football winning streak

• VPN Must Come To An End

Showcase

Lisa Guilbeau: Teacher of the year!

• VPN Must Come To An End

Showcase

Student section savvy

• VPN Must Come To An End

School News

Freshmen elected into SGA

• VPN Must Come To An End

Between The Bells

Jampacked schedule: overbearing or motivator?

• VPN Must Come To An End

School News

Greenbrier unites at special olympics

• VPN Must Come To An End

Showcase

Clinical students become CNAs!

VPN Must Come To An End