The student news site of Greenbrier High School

The Wolf's Den

• September 15Comment on your favorite article and be entered to win a cool prize from the Wolf Den staff! Drawings to be held monthly!

• September 11Yearbooks on sale for $70! Order online @ www.jostensyearbooks.com

Teal is the new Orange

The Teal Pumpkin Project is an organization that raises awareness of food allergies and creating a movement that supports an all-inclusive Halloween season. If one paints a pumpkin teal this trick-or-treating season, it means that they pledge to be a safe house for kids who are allergic to peanut butter, chocolate, milk, and many other foods.

People who support this campaign pass out non-food treats such as glow sticks, vampire teeth, spider rings, stickers, bouncy balls, and mini slinkies. Kids with allergies can be overlooked when it comes to Halloween, but the Teal Pumpkin Project is making sure that everyone gets to take part in this trick-or-treating season.

“I think that it is sweet that we are including children who couldn’t trick-or-treat before,” says Allison Lewis.  “Trick-or-treating is rather important to me and I’m glad that children with allergies can experience it.”

A great aspect of the teal pumpkin is that it is very easily personalized. There’s a wide variety of non-edibles able to be passed out, and the more unique, the better. Many people most likely know at least one person who has allergies that limit their diet.

“[The organization] is great,” says Claire Murdock.  “I have a friend who’s like my brother who has tons of allergies. So, yeah, I care about this.”

It could be a friend, or maybe a sibling, but no matter the connection, we should all try to keep Halloween inclusive.

Comment below on how food allergies effect you or someone you know, and how the Teal Pumpkin Project is changing your Halloween.